YSEL 2014

YSEL 2014

Saturday 13 July 2013

Visiting the Local Bus Factory






YSEL students had a unique opportunity last Friday to visit a bus factory here in Debre Zeyit.  The Bishoftu Automotive Industry is a well known factory that manufactures buses, trucks, tractors and motorcycles for use in Ethiopia.  The day we visited workers were assembling Kamaz trucks in one building, while in another we got to see how they put together the yellow and red city buses that can be seen all over Addis Ababa.  Lastly, we saw some “end of the line” new buses for private use getting finishing touches done to them.  “I am so amazed that right here in Debre Zeyit, in Ethiopia, there are buses being made.  I never imagined I could see something like this,” commented Goanar Gatdet from Gambela region.  His comments were repeated by many YSEL students who for many this was a first to see manufacturing going on in their country.  This was also a nice break after the first week of studying all week at camp for students to get out and see things in town.  Surely this trip to the bus factory will be one students remember as a highlight of camp.



Impressions on the Bus Factory
  I was very impressed by the bus factory because I saw so many women working there, and I think this shows that Ethiopia is changing about women working in places like this.  Women are showing they are strong and can work in the factory.
  Gnajouk John Gach, Gambela Region

  When I went to the bus factory, I learned different things for example how they put the buses together from pieces.  The buses I saw in the factory are quite different from the ones in my town of Kombolcha.  They are comfortable and attractive.
Daniel Workneh, Amhara Region

  I was very happy to visit the bus factory because this was the first time I have seen buses being made.  We do not have this in my region.  We saw many different things being made like buses and trucks. 
Mun Rambang, Gambela Region

No comments:

Post a Comment